Saturday, November 26, 2011

Blog 2



The Magic School Bus- inside a hurricane

By Joanna Cole

Appropriate for grades K-3

Non-Fiction Informational

Do you want to learn more about hurricanes and tornados? Have you ever had a wacky teacher that dresses in clothes that go with the topic you are learning about in school? Have you had really crazy field trips before? Do you like wild adventures? Well if you answered yes to any one of these questions, then The Magic School Bus-Inside a Hurricane is the book for you!

The Magic School Bus-Inside a Hurricane gives a lot of factual information about how weather works, and explains what air, and clouds are. The teacher, Ms.Frizzle, always has a new topic to teach her students about throughout her series of books, and in this particular story, she has the students learn about weather. Her classroom is filled with educational charts all about weather. She gathers the children for another one of her crazy, fun filled field trips in her bus that is magical. She tells her students that they are going to take a trip to the weather station. The bus turns into different things such as a hot air balloon and an airplane. Every time something new happens with the weather, she explains to them what exactly is happening and why it happens. The kids learn that a hurricane watch is in effect and get to experience a hurricane by being directly in one.

This picture book has richly illustrated pages, which are peppered with informative boxes, which provide plenty of background information about weather related topics. The illustrator uses all types of informative boxes such as bubbles showing somebody saying something, lined paper with factual information on it etc. Every picture has something new and exciting happening within it and they are very well done.

The book can definitely be used in a classroom. This book is great for any grade within elementary school. It gives excitement to the reading because of the wild adventure that the student are taken on with Ms.Frizzle, but also gives a large amount of information that is all facts that will teach the students a lot as you read this or they read it. It is the kind of book that can be put into a reading center in the classroom and can be read over as many times as possible for children to really pick up all the real life, factual information. I remember reading many of the magic school bus books as a child and remembering that I learned a lot from them. They also turned these books into a TV show that I would watch as well!

MA Curriculum ELA Frameworks: students will understand key ideas and details, craft and structure, and integration of knowledge and ideas.

4 comments:

MaryKate Currier said...

I loved Magic School Bus books when I was younger! I think I had them all! The crazy adventures that they go on almost seems like you're not even learning while reading them!

Anonymous said...

This book is a fun way to learn about how weather works!

Brittany McGuirl said...

I used to read The Magic School Bus books all the time. The books are written for so many different topics which is good because it's such a fun way to learn about new things.

Anonymous said...

I loved the Magic School Bus when I was a kid! The books are just wonderful because you dont even realize all of the stuff you are learning about because of the way it is written. These books would be great to add to a classroom when trying to teach different types of weather.