Title: The Big Red
Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear.
Author: Audrey Wood
Illustrator: Don Wood
Grade Level: 1-2nd
Grade
Who loves
Strawberries? I know I do, and so does a little mouse… and a big hungry bear.
Find out what happens in this story to Little Mouse as he tries to protect his
strawberry from the big hungry bear!
The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry
Bear, is about a little mouse that finds and picks a delicious red ripe
strawberry. Unfortunately, he has never heard of the big hungry bear that
happens to love red ripe strawberries. Frantically the little mouse attempts
many different strategies to protect his precious strawberry. These strategies
involve burying it, chaining it and putting it under lock and key, and even
disguising it. His final plan is to cut the strawberry in half. He gives half
to the reader, and eats the other half himself. This way the bear will never
find it.
I love the
illustrations in this book. The illustrations fill up the entire page, and the
facial expressions that Little Mouse makes can be interpreted very
clearly. The mouse’s antics are also
drawn very comically. Another thing that I appreciate about this book is how
the author chose to write the book. She makes the reader a character in the
story, as they are the ones who are interacting with the mouse. An example of
this would be the first page which reads, “Hello little mouse, what are you
doing?” The mouse’s facial expressions respond to what the readers says or
asks.
I would include this story in my classroom library. This
book shows how illustrations can give a story more personality, as well as
showing students a different option for how a book can be written. The book is
written with the reader as a character rather than being a part of the
audience.

No comments:
Post a Comment