Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Realistic Fiction



Title: It’s Called Dyslexia
Written by: Jennifer Moore-Mallinos
Illustrated by: Marta Fabrega
Grade Level: 1-3
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Have you ever felt like you were different? Have you ever wanted to know why you weren’t like your classmates? Has someone ever helped you achieve something great? If you have answered yes to any of these, then read Jennifer Moore-Mallinos It’s Called Dyslexia. 
It’s Called Dyslexia is a story told by Sarah, a young girl who struggled with reading. She feels like she is “different” from the other kids in her class because she couldn’t read and write like her classmates. But one day her teacher came to her and asked to have a meeting with her and her parents. Sarah’s teacher had her take some tests; the results show she had dyslexia. Her teacher has Sarah go into a special class with other student like her and they work with her parents to improve her reading and writing.

I enjoyed this story when I read it. I think that many students can relate to this because learning to read and write can be hard for many students. The characters seemed very real and showed development throughout the entire book, especially Sarah with her reading and writing. There was the perfect setting for the story. Since most of the story was based on the academic aspect of the school and home, it only seemed natural that the story should be set in a school and a little at home as well. I feel that children would be engaged in this story because they would want to find out if Sarah learned how to read or not. I feel that this story would also engage those readers who suffer from dyslexia as well. The story is written from Sarah point of view this makes it easier for students to understand the language and what is going on in the story. I think the genre is appropriate for this book because what happens in the story is real. I would keep this in my classroom library because I feel it can give students hope if they are struggling and it can enlighten other students as well.

The reading level appropriate for It’s Called Dyslexia would be best for grades 1-3. The ELA Frameworks; students will be able to make connections (9), genre (10). Students will be able to use the text throughout this book and make connections to their life. Students will be able to identify the genre of this story. They will also be able to recall key details such as who, what, when, where and how. 

No comments: