Thursday, April 26, 2012

Where the Wild Things Are


Where the Wild Things Are
Written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak
Genre: Fantasy
Suggested Grade Level: Pre-K through 2

            Did you have a crazy imagination as a child? Did you ever have a dream of a far away land with mythical creatures? Where the Wild Things Are shows you a look into Max’s elaborate imagination one night when he is sent to his room for misbehaving.
            The story begins with Max in his wolf suit being naughty around his house and his mother sends the “wild thing” up to his bedroom without supper.  Max’s room grew into a forest with an ocean awaiting Max to sail off to a fantasy world. He arrived at the place where the wild things are.  They tried to scare little Max but he tamed them, and at once they were frightened of him. They called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all the wild things. The wild things’ rumpus lasted all through the night. Amidst his dream world, Max became lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him. He resigned as king of the wild things and set sail waving goodbye. Max arrived back in his bedroom where he found supper waiting for him. 
            I really enjoyed Where the Wild Things Are because of its uniqueness. The illustrations truly are incredible. I love the pages of the wild things and Max during their “wild rumpus.” Maurice Sendak paid careful attention to the details in the story setting to keep children engaged. Children must understand that Max starts off in a real world then his imagination takes him to the place of the wild things. This book captures all the aspects of fantasy. I do not think this book should be banned from classrooms. I agree it is not appropriate for a lesson plan, but I think it is all right for a classroom library. The language is very simple for children to read and comprehend. Children have a very broad, unique imagination and I would like to see what kind of made up world they could think of.

Massachusetts ELA Curriculum Frameworks:
RL 10.1 Identify differences among the common forms of literature: poetry, prose, fiction, nonfiction (informational and expository), and dramatic literature.
RL 12.1 Identify the elements of plot, character, and setting in a favorite story. 

No comments: