The
Three Pigs by
David Wiesner
Grade
3
Traditional
Literature
Who am I? I huff and I puff
and I’ll blow your house down. If I was a little piggy I would build my house in
a cave with extra locks so the Big Bad Wolf could never come in and I would be
able to protect my fellow friends and family. I would invite Little Mary and
his lamb. Imagine if you were a little piggy, what would you build your house
out of and who would you invite in it? Well when you read The Three Pigs,
you will be able to see who they would invite in their house!
In the story, The Three
Pigs by David Wiesser there were three pigs that were threatened by the Big
Bad Wolf to blow their house down. Before the Wolf had a chance to blow down
the last piggy’s house, the pigs went on an adventure. They wanted to pick
their own ending to this story, so they went to other traditional stories and became
part of their stories. The piggy’s ended taking out some characters from other
stories to bring them back to little piggy’s brick home. They saved characters
in other stories that were in harm and they all ended up safe and happy.
Characters:
The three little pigs, the big bad wolf, diddle diddle cat, and the dragon.
Setting: In the story books
Problem/Solution:
The big bad wolf is trying to blow down the three little pigs houses.
Resolution:
The pigs saved diddle diddle from his story along with the dragon who was about
to be slayed. The pigs took them back to the brick house they built and the
wolf couldn’t blow it down.
This story is traditional
fiction because the three little pigs showed extreme bravery from the Big Bad Wolf,
so in order to live they had to use extremely cleverness in building their
homes! Throughout the story the little piggy’s were very funny and silly. As the
story was going on, there would be little pop ups of the piggy’s making funny
comments such as “Hey! He blew me right out of the story!” Furthermore, the language
was very simple and clear. Instead of focusing on a place or time, the conflict
started right away, for example on page three the Big Bad Wolf had already
started eating the little pigs. The illustrations in the story were amazing! They
were very descriptive and expressed what was happening in the story perfectly.
This book would be great to
read to students because it expresses creativity in the story. The students are
used to the folktale “three little pigs” but they would be amazed by the twist
that this story offers. Since the three little pigs are so known about, the
students will be excited to see that the pigs decided to make their own ending
to the usual folktale. Not only will the story excite the students but the illustrations
will as well. There are some pages that just have exceptional pictures and
within those pictures have other characters from other well known stories, like
“diddle diddle”.

No comments:
Post a Comment